IoT Clinic - Radio Frequency (RF) Voodoo

Event Scheduled for 25th September
IoT is a digital radio technology, but the boffins have sorted most of this so it just works.
But we’d like to organise an event to explore more of what we can expect from IoT on LoRaWAN which is in the sub-GigaHertz (UHF) range at 868MHz

Knowledge and Skills:

• Planning with coverage tools
  • Which antennas work best
  • Propagation and environment

Simon Taylor will come and explain more.

For more IoT events in the YoioT then see this post: IoT Clinic Session Planning

1 Like

could we get someone with an antenna meter and compare curves for various designs ?

1 Like

Was thinking the same. I’ve asked ST to pick a date from the list. He can talk about propagation. I also think it may be good to have a (supplementary) make session on those DIY 1/4w G.P. antennas i’ve built and learn how to tune them

1 Like

lets ask jo and ST about DIY J pole antennas. They are super easy to make and weather proof can be rolled up too. See https://m0ukd.com/calculators/slim-jim-and-j-pole-calculator/ for instructions

2 Likes

Simon has asked for 25th Sept so I’ve booked him in (thanks Simon) and we can gather gaps in our collective knowledge here.

1 Like

Hi all,

I am looking forward to being with you on 25/09 for ‘RF Voodoo’!

Any particular Voodoo you want me to cover, please let me know.

Simon

1 Like

antenna theory relating ro propagation please.
I would also like if possible to do a second evening with the antenna plotter building a ladder line j pole workshop.

Hello all,

Just confirming that I am looking forward to visiting NWTech next month to waffle all things RF in the sub uWave area.

Looks like I shall be touching on the following:

Propagation and environment
Which antenna to choose
Where to site your antenna - possible use of coverage tools
We can cover the basics of j pole, 5/8th verticals and simple yagi antenna designs.

Please do shout out if you want anything else from the session

Simon

2 Likes

Hello all,

Thank you for making me and my fellow Dragon Amateur Radio Club members so welcome last night. I was pleased to see that I did not make anyone fall to sleep! It was great that the local tech community made us ‘amateurs’ so very welcome.

I look forward to further collaboration with North Wales Tech in the future.

Regards,

Simon Taylor
MW0NWM