Personal Project: A Safe Way Off My Drive - Looking for help / advice

Hi all,

I appreciate the title of this topic / project may sound a little strange so a little background: I live at the brow of a hill and our driveway is unfortunately situated where we cannot see traffic approaching us from the right; this means we usually have to try and listen out for oncoming traffic (not always possible in high winds or with quieter cars) and has resulted in some very close calls - at least 5 within the past few weeks. This is mostly because the cars coming across have been exceeding the 40mph limit (it used to be National).

The council have informed us that the process of installing a mirror is lengthy, expensive to us and is usually unsuccessful (we did used to have one but a combination of wind damage as well as the farmer whose field the pole it was mounted on removing the pole means it no longer exists).

What we are hoping to do is set up a camera of some sort from our bathroom window as this has a view of the traffic lights and cross-road the cars approach from. We’d then like to be able to pick up the camera feed on our mobile phones so we can view this and check for safe gaps to get off our drive.

Suggestions / recommendations of suitable (but not extortionately expensive) cameras and ways to set this up would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Given how safety critical this is, the simpler the solution the better. In the interim I’d suggest beeping your horn every time you creep off the drive. If the neighbours don’t like the noise, use this as evidence to make the case for the mirror :slight_smile:

Tech wise a streaming camera, possibly with night vision, is definitely one option. Another would be to bypass the council and ask the farmer if you can install something.

I’d be concerned about the possibility of building a false sense of security in case you end up with a frozen video image for example. What are the possible failure cases that you’d need to look out for?

I would be concerned with any setup that involved a camera streaming to your phone.

It will need to be processed, and streamed.

As an example, we have Nest cameras in the house to watch the kids in bed, and there’s a good 6-8 second delay between live action, and what we see on the phone/iPad etc.

1 Like