Wall mounting kit

Hello NWT,

I’ve been to one NWT event. Someone said to check out this forum and I though it could be the place to ask a question on a project I’m working on… need some help.

Background: I’m designing a new house-hold electricity monitor based on STM32 for openenergymonitor.org

I’ve designed an enclosure for injection molding, and designed the wall mounting fins which stick out the side. The trouble is, I don’t like the look of them! Here’s the case element:

Pics of a 3D printed case done at Pontio with John:
. https://community.openenergymonitor.org/t/stm32-development/6815/312

Ideally I’d have a separate component fixed to the wall onto which the case is mounted. Pop-on Pop-off would be perfect.

Anybody know of such a thing?

Dan

1 Like

What do you think @mountainpenguin you’ve done a few outdoor projects of late.

no sure this is outside ?
The common way to do a wall mount would be to twist lock e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF_P5ie_b8o
given the number of possible connections to the device also think about snap offs for the wire holes

It’s not outside. Most often it’s near the consumer unit / electricity meters in-doors.
Okay, cheers. maybe we make our own part for a wall mount like that then.
snap offs are an interesting idea however the PCB will be assembled fully so all the apertures are actually needed from the get go.

I was looking at all the IO, surely not all users are going to use all the ports are they ?
If you make the case a bit bigger you could have unused ports closed and then snap them off to get access as you expand the install. e.g. start off with basic monitoring but adding a new clamp per circuit over time.
Another really neat way to clamp is to use rare earth magnets to clamp it in place. This can be very neat and almost magic but, is a bit too expensive and niche for this as its only going to be rarely removed.

which I/O are you thinking?
generally, I agree.

the difficulty with the CT jacks is the PCB edge is already to the max, so snapoffs won’t work in that regard, because the blanks will be in he way of the actual connector, the alternative would be a separate molding to blank the connectors, like an insert, which kind of defeats the point of cost reduction, but at least keeps dust and insects out.

magnetic mounting i haven’t thought of, very cool, niche like you say. gonna have to sleep on it.

leaning towards a custom molded part for wall mounting…

the CT and rj45 connectors either by setting back the connectors on the boards so they done overlap the PCB or having the case a little bit bigger

good ideas, i’ll have a think.